Lindsay is amazing to me. She has said since she was 4 that she was not getting baptised, and while I never brushed it off, always asking why she said that---the answer being she was afraid to go under the water,(so we took swimming lessons); that Daddy wouldn't be able to pull her up quick enough,(so we practiced what it would be like); that she just didn't want to,(usually when she was mad at me)--- I never really took her seriously. But the closer we got to her 8th birthday, the more adamant she became. I didn't understand. For me, this was what we do, we get baptised at 8. I knew it was right, somehow, so I did it---that may have been blind faith in my case. It's always been easy for me to gain a testimony of things. Bethany didn't question it either, it's just what we do. So when Lindsay was having so much trouble, I couldn't get it.
A friend had born her testimony about the gratitude she felt for the time she had to really help her 7-yr-old learn and grow and really develop a testimony of baptism before being baptised and it struck a chord in my heart. Lindsay feels everything so deeply, she internalizes everything around her and thinks things through so much that I realized I hadn't given her the chance to grow that testimony, to really understand why we do this. SO, mercifully, we had some time to work on this. We started reading scriptures about baptism and having family home evenings dedicated to every facet of why and how and what baptism is, from the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Some times I didn't think she was listening, but she would always surprise me with comments days later. We tried to think of every possible way to teach what Baptism is and why we know it is so important. Lindsay was amazing and worked really hard to know for herself, but still she had her doubts and was not sure, even up to the week before when she had her interview with Bro. Holdsworth. I am forever thankful for his patience in that interview. She wasn't answering any of his questions---whether because she was feeling a bit self-conscious or stubborn to have things be on her terms, I don't know. But then he asked her if she thought Jesus loved her. She thought about that and then a big smile lit up her face and she said yes for the first time. He asked her about tithing and she answered that she knew what that was and why we pay it. He asked her about several other things we had learned about and she was able to answer. By the end of the interview, she was beaming and felt so confident. I was amazed by the absoluteness of the change in her!
Lindsay's good buddy Josh helped seal the deal. She had thought he was nervous about the whole thing, but at our Secret Adventure Friday the day before, he told her he was just nervous about the water being cold, but when he got in, it was warm. He told her---he had been baptised just the month before---that he was so thankful he had been baptised. Thank you Josh!
On the morning of Lindsay's baptism, she was bouncing. She was baptised in the newly remodeled Stake Center baptismal font. She glowed the whole morning and was so excited to see all her family and friends and neighbors coming to support her. When she went in to the water her face glowed brighter and her smile was HUGE!! It was beautiful and wonderful and it melted my heart anew for our wonderful Daddy, Brandon, as he exercised his priesthood to baptise and then later confirm this beautiful daughter of God! It was so priceless to me and my heart was so full for him and for Lindsay and for our Heavenly Father who laid the plan to find happiness and peace in this chaotic life. It meant so much more because I had seen firsthand all that Lindsay had gone through to get to this point! Brandon and I would NEVER force a child to make this decision. Agency and the right to choose your life's course are sacred! Seeing her reach this, to know within her heart and mind that this is the right choice for her, that was a priceless treasure to behold!
When she came out and was beaming even brighter and we were in the bathroom getting changed, she said she wanted to do it again and couldn't WAIT until she was 12 so she could go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead and have that feeling over and over. WOW! Amazing!
Brandon's mom gave the most beautiful talk about the Holy Ghost and it was so special to see Lindsay right there under her, looking up at the podium and listening. It was very personal and so simple and perfect for Lindsay. She even used Lindsay's best bear friend Mo as an example---SO perfect for Lindsay's understanding right now! Thanks Mom!
We had Lindsay's White Luncheon at home afterwards and she was still glowing! I had so much help from my sisters and Moms and Rosemary adn Shawn; I was in bliss for the day and to be working in the kitchen with all those women I love so dearly! It was amazing and my heart just overflowed with joy!! I think I smiled non-stop the whole day! One of the sweetest things for me was seeing my mom talking with Lindsay one on one about times she had felt the Spirit in her amazing life and sharing with Lindsay her testimony. That really meant SO much to me and to Lindsay who talked about it later. I am so thankful they were able to share those special moments with each other. Lindsay told her Grandma how she had felt the Spirit too, when she had been confirmed. WOW!! Thanks to you too Mom!
That night, when everyone had gone home and we were getting everyone into bed, she said it was the best day of her whole life and that she was so thankful and so happy she had been baptised. She said she felt like an angel on the outside because of the white dress that Gayle had sent the fabric for,( thank you so much again Gayle!), and that she felt like an angel inside too because of making that right choice.
I know our Heavenly Father is so mindful of us! I saw Him working in this little girl, still just 8 years old, but with a wise and strong and valiant spirit inside her, yearning for truth and goodness. I know He loves Lindsay so much and I know He is so proud of her decision. Since that day of her baptism, I have seen a real change in her. She is still the bubbly, energetic, sunshine, smiley girl that she always was, and she still has hard days just like we all do, but there is a peace and a calm in her. She has gone to the scriptures nearly daily and has told me how that helps her have a good day, or to calm her down if she is frustrated. She has realized that her prayers have been answered so many times. How thankful I am for her and for our Father in Heaven who hears and answers our deep prayers for help and understanding. I am SO grateful! We love you so much Lindsay! Way to go!!

No comments:
Post a Comment