Monday, December 27, 2010

Jeremy's New Room!




Ok, so I am a dork! I know this about myself and I'm ok with that. But I am also stubborn, and that I am not ok with. I painted Jeremy's room 2 years ago hoping for a magical little man cave or some such nonsense---not really thinking much about the repercussions of the choice to paint his walls a light but cold grey and his ceiling denim blue---which is DARK, then to make the switch to the new CFL bulbs, which are great, but not as bright as the incandescent ones. Jeremy had a BAD tear with behavior and anger and even some violence and it all came to a nasty head, he couldn't control himself---I was desperate and in the middle of the night after days and days of trying to figure out how to help and pouring my heart out to Heavenly Father, I knew I needed to paint his walls and ceiling again in lighter colors, take down all the very cool but cluttering wall art, take sugar out of his diet and teach him better ways to manage his temper, by my example and by rote memorization and practice. We have begun a new epoch in his life. He has made a massive turn around---not to say that we don't still have tough days, but it is so much better for him and all of us. His room is now the same beautiful bone color that the preschool room is and his ceiling is a flat, bright, white. He chose his one favorite Book of Mormon painting. He designed a rocket ship and drew it for me so I could see what he wanted, then I painted it on the opposite wall from his bed and connected it to the astronaut bear by a long air tube. Karlee painted planets and stars above the tube. The whole effect is lighter and brighter and cheery and surprisingly clean feeling. We cleaned his room together and he was able to feel how much calmer he could be in a clean and less cluttered space. The sugar thing was pretty major. I hadn't realized just how bad I was when I was his age for my mom and everyone else until she had told me at Lindsay's baptism luncheon. My poor mom! We have really made an effort to limit the stuff, it's a toxin for him. He is able to recognize what sugar does to him and understands what if feels like to be more in control of himself when the sugar isn't in control.

Bottom line: AGAIN in such a short amount of time, I am beyond words grateful for our Heavenly Father who knows us and loves us and wants us to succeed, who knows my weaknesses and helps me any way, who knows what one of his precious sons needs and gave me the information I needed to help this wonderful son have more peace in his life. Jeremy has also recently realized that reading his scriptures helps him to have a great day and that saying his prayers helps him make better choices. Thank Thee Heavenly Father!!!!!

I think that Heavenly Father sends answers to these little children of His quicker, more easily when they are so young than when we are older so that they can learn how to ask and what it feels like to recieve answers at a young age in their smaller capacity for attention and patience. I heard that in a Relief Society meeting and really started to pay attention, that sister was so right. It makes perfect sense that Heavenly Father would do that and I am so grateful for it. My plea is that my sweet kids will continue to recognize His hand in their lives, that they can know from now on where they need to turn for the truth and for wisdom and help, even more than me and Brandon, although we will always do our best to help them and advise them, we are still human and fallible. God is not, He is perfect and perfectly loving and perfectly wise forever. This world is just not navigable without His help and guidance. There is too much crazy and dark and wrong in every worldly direction. I guess I just I needed to be reminded of that too! Thank you Dear Father!

No comments: