We passed the memorial that was being set up by NAU in front of City Hall on our way to Josh's baptism. It was a good experience and opportunity to talk to the kids about this. Of course they asked why a lot. Hmmmm. And how do you answer some of those why's? The easiest to answer was that people all around the United States of America were setting up and paying silent respect at these kinds of memorials. That we as a people---made up of so many different strengths and cultures and beliefs were united as never before by an instance in History so heinous that we would very much like to forget, but are wise not to. The answer to the why that came after that was much more difficult. I can't say that I, myself can wrap my head around anything that could set in someone's mind so firmly the "fact" that other human beings on this planet were so vile and repulsive, so terrible in scope and comprehension that annihilation was the only answer and therefore mass destruction, innocent lives lost and suicide were the only honorable thing to do. ????? How to explain that to a 10, 7, 6 and 4 year old. I think I said that a long time ago when Bethany was still 1, people who were very bad forcefully took charge of two planes and flew them into the two biggest buildings in New York City. Those buildings then collapsed and killed nearly everyone in them. And another plane was taken and flown into a government building too and people were killed. Why? I don't know, Sweethearts, I just don't know.
But I do know what happened as a result.
Thousands of those who have chosen to protect us as their profession, from all over the country flocked to help. People all over the country and the world rallied to raise monies and supplies and other things to help our beloved New York City. Cocky? Yes. Arrogant? Yes. Rough around the edges? Of course. But still, Ours. And Beloved for all those reasons. Entertainers from all walks put on a gala to raise funds. We flew our beautiful Old Glory more often and decked our homes with yellow ribbons. We did everything we could to help, to hold our heads high, to show that we indeed would fight for our rights of Liberty, for our wives and our families, for our religions and our Freedom from oppression and oppressors. It was ghastly and horrific, but United we stood then in the aftermath and we are United still. Did it sink in? I don't know. But it made me remember again why I am so proud to be an American, so thankful for this nation we call home. SO thankful for those selfless souls who have made it their life's work to protect. We are blessed by these brave men and women. We took the pictures on the way home again after they had finished placing all the flags---one for every person who died. The car was quiet as we went by and in the rearview mirror I saw four sets of eyes staring at that lawn and those flags, thinking. I hope they are proud too.

No comments:
Post a Comment