I have never been able to sit idly by and watch a 4th of July Parade. Actually I never even went to one until we had kids and were living up here, but since then we have nearly always been there. I forgot my camera, which stinks, but oh well. I still felt all the gratitude and appreciation for this great nation that I always do. I have been reminded of those feelings much more often this year than I usually am, and I'm grateful for that too. Brandon's Uncle Andy was on Glenn Beck talking about George Washington earlier in April, I think, and I have since started reading his book, The Real George Washington. Couple that with the part of the Book of Mormon I'm reading right now, and my thankfulness for the men and women who helped protect my beloved land in this chosen neck of the woods, plus the wonderful talks we got to hear on the 4th....well, my heart has just about burst with the feeling of it! I couldn't even get through Longfellow's poem about Paul Revere without getting choked up! My preschoolers must have thought I was nuts! but I loved the chance to tell them why I was choked up. I am SO thankful to be an American, a citizen of the United States of America. I love this country. I hope someday I can hug all those men and women who have given their lives in defense of it's greatness. I pray that I can use my voice to defend it in my small way now. I will be eternally grateful for George Washington, John Adams, all those founding fathers who risked so much, were so brave and stood tall in their determination. REAL heroes!
Friday, July 9, 2010
Our Nation's Birthday
I have never been able to sit idly by and watch a 4th of July Parade. Actually I never even went to one until we had kids and were living up here, but since then we have nearly always been there. I forgot my camera, which stinks, but oh well. I still felt all the gratitude and appreciation for this great nation that I always do. I have been reminded of those feelings much more often this year than I usually am, and I'm grateful for that too. Brandon's Uncle Andy was on Glenn Beck talking about George Washington earlier in April, I think, and I have since started reading his book, The Real George Washington. Couple that with the part of the Book of Mormon I'm reading right now, and my thankfulness for the men and women who helped protect my beloved land in this chosen neck of the woods, plus the wonderful talks we got to hear on the 4th....well, my heart has just about burst with the feeling of it! I couldn't even get through Longfellow's poem about Paul Revere without getting choked up! My preschoolers must have thought I was nuts! but I loved the chance to tell them why I was choked up. I am SO thankful to be an American, a citizen of the United States of America. I love this country. I hope someday I can hug all those men and women who have given their lives in defense of it's greatness. I pray that I can use my voice to defend it in my small way now. I will be eternally grateful for George Washington, John Adams, all those founding fathers who risked so much, were so brave and stood tall in their determination. REAL heroes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment